How to plan your remodel in a few easy steps!
Are you thinking of starting the renovation process? Let us give you a few quick pointers to eliminate some head aches along the way!
1. Put together a detailed plan for your home improvement project
- Working with a designer can help this process go more smoother!
- A designer can generate blueprints or sketches of your finished project!
- Accumulate a nice detailed list of all of your wants and needs.
- Start making selections, Take your imagination and bring it to life by choosing colors, themes, fixtures, etc.!
2. Set your budget
- Begin with acquiring cost estimates from professionals
- Price out all materials (a good contractor can assist you with this)
- Decide what you want to spend! What is your budget?
- Set aside 10-12% for unexpected costs
3. Vet and hire your favorite contractor
- Get references!
- How many years of experience do they have?
- Make sure they have an active license
- Make sure they have insurance (you can ask for a COI)
- Schedule for payment- No reputable contractor will ask for the entire price upfront! The price should be broken down into payments. Don’t forget sometimes spending a little extra for a contractor that you are comfortable with is well worth it!
4. Figure out your timeline
- Choose your start date! How exciting!
- If you have a specific end date in mind don’t forget about a few days worth of wiggle room with factoring in your start date!
- Sit down with your contractor and ask questions! Go over phases
- See if your contractor has a software they can get you integrated with so you are able to see your projects schedule as you go!
5. Make sure you are prepared to not have much use of whatever area you are renovating during most phases of the project
- Depending on your project you may not be able to use that area while work is being performed
- Make sure you have a plan stemming from your timeline and schedule of what you will use/do in the meantime while work is being performed
Remodeling your home can seem over whelming and scary at first. Breaking down each step and doing your research will help you immensely! Just take a breath, ask questions, do your research, and last but not least have FUN with it! Enjoy the process as much as you can and BE EXCITED!